Thursday, September 8, 2011

OMG...IKR! Baughman Recliner, Baughman Recliner...Don't I Ever Think About Anything Else? Status: Finally Done....(For Now!)

DSCN4208

I got it all put back together and I just had to show it off. If you're sick to death of seeing the Baughman, I feel ya and I promise not to post about it again any time soon. I can't imagine what else I'd post about it. It does need a little structure tweek but that is a long long way down the road. It would mean stripping ALL the upholstery off.

You may remember the humble beginnings of this lovely recliner. I found it on c-list for super cheap

but had to drive way far away late in the evening to claim it. I did end up meeting a pretty cool seller

though and the whole experience was fun. But the recliner had seen better days and was showing

it's age. I knew it wasn't anything that was out of my capacity to rectify though so into the back of

Frank it went.

DSCN4187DSCN4199
DSCN4200DSCN4201

The slouchy upholstery was my first project. I had to "skin" the seat to see what was under there

and replace the suspension system. Luckily I had just picked up exactly what I needed at an estate

sale to replace the broken straps underneath. This made the the recliner finally usable. But...it

really needed to be prettied up too! So that was on the agenda last weekend.

DSCN4195DSCN4197DSCN4198

The upholstery was in excellent condition so I haven't needed to mess with that. But I did need to

refinish the wood. It had that "patina" that makes the finish kinda sticky and hazy. I took the base off

the chair and grabbed the chemicals and steel wool. A couple hours later it looked beautiful again
. It

got a good coat of Feed-N-Wax afterward. The next morning it got a good buffing and back together

it went. Now that it's a cohesive unit again I just thought I'd wrap up the Milo Baughman Recliner

Refinish!

DSCN4205DSCN4202
DSCN4204DSCN4203

I know I had already shot and shared pics of the base after refinishing it but I felt like I needed to

show it off as a complete chair and I just didn't have time to take care of all that during the last

installment.

DSCN4188DSCN4192
DSCN4211

Check it out...An Action Shot! After all that fixin', cleanin' and refinishin' a brother needs a lil' nappy

nap! This is what the Recliner was meant for.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Very nice job, Mr. Mod!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love these loungers. This one is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what an awesome restore on an awesome chair. Would love to find a couple of these babies.

    ReplyDelete