Sunday, September 4, 2011
Another Project Started...Another Project Unfinished! The Wroughtan Side Table Project. It Was Just TOO Hot Today. 100 Plus. Status: Maybe Tomorrow?
It was already sanded down. I just had to remove the rattan lower tier and break out the rattle cans. I was hoping to have this done today but we had a crazy day of record heat followed by a little rain and a quick cool down this evening.
This is what it looked like when I brought it home last summer. I didn't know at the time that the
"fleckstone" finish on the upper tier was the original Wroughtan finish. I didn't really care for it and
thought it was a bad '80s paint job so I sanded it all off. I thought I might want to stain the wood but
thought better of it.
I decided to give the top a shot of shiny white and the "legs" a shot of satin black. Easy and quick.
I'm not sure about the top though, now that I've painted it. The wood sanded smooth but the grain is
raised and I couldn't get a nice smooth surface. After painting you can still see the grain, and while
that is kinda cool too...it's not what I'm after.
I did manage to get a couple coats of paint on it before the rain came. I want to pull the rattan lower
tier apart and clean each piece individually (with steel wool) as well as paint the two steel side
supports to match the legs. It'll take some doing though. The first screw I dried to get loose just
stripped itself. I'll have to grind the head off and remove the screw with a pair of pliers after I get
the rest disassembled. Then I'll have to find a proper slot head screw to replace it (and any other
stuck ones I come across). Thank god for estate sale basement booty screw jars! I'll keep ya