Sunday, August 28, 2011
Sigh...The Ongoing Saga Of The Rocket Lamp Rescue. Status: Made In The Shade!
I think I may have solved my "My Rocket Lamp Wants For An Appropriate Shade" problem! I was poking around the Garage, looking for a project to occupy my afternoon and one thing led to another.
I was hoping to share another brilliant estate sale big game hunt with you from this morning, having
gotten only a few hours sleep and arrived more than 3 hours early, but alas...I myself "scored" just a
little basement swag. Being third sucks. First and Second scored all over us! Well deserved scores.
They showed up way earlier then us. So I went home and took a nap. When I got up I felt like I
needed to accomplish Something!
I had been kicking around making a pair of lamp shades like this for the pair of rocket lamps I have
in the bedroom before I found their lampshades. I was going to make them larger to fit around the
outside of the spires though. I think this ended up looking much better than that would have. It
almost looks like it was meant to be!
I found a rattan roll up shade at the thrift store for a couple bucks and gave it the knife. I made a
couple of hoop supports fashioned out of metal hangers. I attached the hoops with some clear
sewing thread. It took a couple hours but it was a couple hours well spent. It's not perfect and I may
disassemble it to make some minor tweaks but I think it looks great! Not too shabby for my first
attempt. I just need to fashion a diffuser of some sort for the bulb.