Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mod light sconce. Brutalist style in the manor of Paul Evans. A craigslist find that matches my Brasilia dining set beautifully! Status: Bagged and Tagged

DSCN8045

So I still don't know who the manufacturer is and while it is definitely in the Brutalist style and reeks of Paul Evans, it's not quite fine enough for me to comfortably attribute it to him.

DSCN8044DSCN8043DSCN8046Broyhill Brasilia Dining Room 01

This light's details so match the details on the Broyhill Brasilia that I'm now tempted to label the Brasilia as "soft" brutalist. Or maybe Danish Brutalist? When I found this a while back I did some research thinking it was in the manor of Curtis Jere and as a result found out nothing. Then Kim (of fiberglass chair fame!) sent me a note asking about some Lane furnishings she was interested in that I immediately recognized as being in the Brutalist style. Then, while doing a little research on that, I found a picture on Apartment Therapy of another sconce like mine! It was at a shop being featured on AT for sale (at quite a lofty price) and was being identified as a Paul Evans piece. After doing a little research on Paul Evans I concluded that it's just not good enough to be a Paul Evans sconce. It looks like a mass produced piece that was heavily influenced by Paul Evans style to me. If anybody has any other information about this, don't hesitate to let me know!

4 comments:

  1. I love the sconce! its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Craigslist at about 10pm on a Saturday. I shot them an e-mail immediately and they got back to me. I drove over to Pontoon Beach Il at about 11:30pm to pick it up. I'm so glad that people trust strangers to come by so late. About 1/4 of all my Craigslist buys happen after 10pm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks MFG, I need to get some of those orange flicker bulbs for it! The ones that look like candle flames.

    ReplyDelete