Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Googie: Modernism as defined by the space age, the atomic age, and shapes such as the atom and boomerangs. Status: jus' chillin.

DSCN8146

So I find myself describing a lot of the items I have to people as Googie or Googie influenced. More often than not I then have to try to explain what little even I know of Googie. It's kinda one of the "I know it when I see it" things.


DSCN8148DSCN8149DSCN8150
DSCN8152DSCN8154DSCN8150

Well, this should help clear up a few questions. As furniture goes, I think this is a pretty good example of Googie. It's perhaps a little subtle and understated for the most obvious examples of Googie, but if you do a Google image search for Googie you can see these too. This chair was purchased a few years ago from a Craigslist ad. I've since found two more with different vinyl upholstery. I've seen these attributed to Baumritter furniture manufacturer though mine are all unmarked. They are very comfortable and can accommodate...well, backsides less than diminutive. I love the red vinyl. I once saw this style of vinyl on the seats of a '50s Buick in a junkyard. I still wonder if the upholstery was stock.

2 comments:

  1. I just got a white one this week out of town at a thrift store. $4! Mine is also unmarked, do you have more than one, or did you pass on the others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. FOUR BUCKS? Dag, that's a friggin' bargain!

    Yeah, I've got three total. Does your white one have any detail to the vinyl? Gonna drop a pic or two on your blog?

    ReplyDelete