Tuesday, May 15, 2012

There Must Be Tons Of Walnut Trees In Yugoslavia. Picked Up A Dano/Slavic Modern Magazine Rack Sunday. Status: Cleaned Up And Ready For The Sale!

DSCN7289

More thrift harvest for the big Parking Lot Sale coming up soon! Stopped by the Goodwill downtown and picked up this orphaned Slavic Modern walnut magazine rack. It needed some Modtomic love and that's just what it got.


That's right, more pickings for the big Modtomic "boot sale" in the Green Shag parking lot (5733

Manchester Ave. St. Louis, MO 63110
).  I'm still trying to pick out what I'll be offering but it

helps that I keep finding extra stuff to sprinkle into the mix.  It's also fortuitous that some of this

stuff folds up small like!

DSCN7287DSCN7285
DSCN7284
DSCN7286DSCN7288

This was a tiny bit rough when I found it at the Goodwill.  The "stops" built into the legs that keep

the "X" from spreading too wide were both gone and there was the ubiquitous smears of white

paint that had to be romoved.  I was going to put some short dowl rods in for the stops but I got

a wild idea and used some plastic bushings that looked like the right size instead.  They're glued

in tight now.  I used some 0000 steel wool to polish off the white paint and the hit the entire piece

with some Howards Walnut Restore-A-Finish.

DSCN7283DSCN7282
DSCN7281DSCN7280


Turned out so nice that I almost wanna keep it! I do have another just like it in black. Maybe I'll

bring both. It's not like they are gonna take up a ton of room in the cars. Crap, that means I'll

have to make up another tag. Gosh, this sale thing is gonna be fun!  Hope to see all y'all there!

8 comments:

  1. I would so be there if you just lived a bit closer. Sounds like there are going to be some sweet deals to be had!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi A Mod. ...And it should be a great time! I think that Nick (of Mid-Century Midwest) will be there for some of the day too so there will be lots of Mid-Century / Scavenging talk happnin'! Maybe I'll bring a cooler full of adult beverages too! Are ya sure that a 20 some hour drive is too far?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Wendy. Oh TOTALLY! I'll bring the light fixture! Still looking for a Brasilia table and chairs?

      Delete
  3. I like it, I think walnut is one of my favourite species of wood. Depending on how it's cut and what finish is used, it can take on a tiger stripe look to it and has a warm appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. It does seem to the "IT" wood for vintage modern furnishings...along with teak if you are leaning a bit more Scandinavian. Of course rosewood is always welcome in the Modtomic household as well!

      Delete
  4. Ha! One of these is listed on craigslist in Columbus for $5.00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi bopfish. Did you snatch that up? I woulda!

      Delete