Thursday, May 31, 2012

Aaaaand Here It Is! Yup, It Was The Green Milo Baughman Recliner. Status: One In - One Out.

DSCN7498

Even as found, this was the major score from the Gypsy Caravan. I'd have to say this might have been the best deal at the entire flea market that day! As you can see in the pictures from the sale that day, it was stuck in the middle of somewhat incongruous offerings...and perhaps - lucky for me - well hidden by them!


DSCN4195DSCN4197DSCN4198


Yup, old Baughman go bye bye. New Baughman says "hello!"  The other Milo Baughman recliner

that I found on craigslist about a year ago and spent a little time cleaning up and featuring here on

the blog made it's way to a new home this morning.  Modtomic reader Stacia contacted me asking

if I had picked up the Green Recliner in the post Tuesday and asked if so, would it be available

for purchase.  A decision had to be made.  There's only so much room for recliners around here

and the new Thayer Coggin / James Inc. unit got the nod.  Stacia got the Mark One.

DSCN7500DSCN7499

This one is in a tiny bit better initial condition than the Mark One (the first recliner) but only in

that it still has it's original tags, original seat springs and is in slightly better structural condition.

The Mark One had it's springs replaced with burlap staps...a couple of which were broken when

I got it...and it needed to have a little batting added to the seat to plump it up a little while

stretching the original upholstery a little tighter during re-attachment
.  The Mark Two needed a

little finish refreshening.  Done.

DSCN7502
DSCN7505DSCN7504

Subtle, I know. But it looks SOOOoooo....Oooooooo (sorry, ran outa breath) much better in

person. It's amazing what a little elbow grease, 0000 steel wool, a can of Howards Walnut

Restore-A-Finish and a free afternoon can accomplish!

DSCN7506DSCN7507

One of the great things about the Baughman recliner is that it's so darn easy to take apart making

all the wood bits accessible for finish work with out getting close to the upholstery.  Note that this

frame is also missing one corner glue block.  C'mon, it's old!  Of course it's gonna have a lil

structural issue here and there.

DSCN7509DSCN7508
DSCN7503

I got so worked up with getting pics of the before and after action that I failed to get any pics of

just a completed "after". I did manage to take a few pics of the Whole chair after I finished up the

frame and put the seat back on though.

DSCN7512

Next on the agenda for the Mark Two is upholstery cleaning. It's pretty dirty. The are some real

"spots" that will require special attention but there aren't any rips, tears or holes...so...there ya go!

DSCN7514DSCN7513
DSCN7501

11 comments:

  1. There wasn't any doubt in my mind which piece you came home with! I'd have been all over that myself. Great find! Having the original tags is a sweet bonus...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi A Mod. I could hardly believe my ears when the gave me their asking price! Then dropped it....then Dropped it again! All in about 5 seconds!

      Delete
  2. Hey Mr Mod...have some questions on a Florence Knoll credenza if you have a sec...
    http://www.thethriftypicker.com/2012/05/credenza-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachael. I checked it out. Nice piece. Can't wait to see it when you get it all sorted out!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I really like the color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too... Love the color. It is cool and refreshing.


    Furniture store perth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mystery Girl. Thanks. Green Baughmans seem to be a thing around here!

      Delete
  6. Hi there,

    I see that this is post is a few years old, but am hoping that it finds you! I just found (what looks like to me) the same model as this Milo Baughman piece. It needs a TON of work (basically have to rebuild most of the chair), but would love to do it myself and get it back to its original beauty. (I found it on the side of the road!) Anyways, was hoping that you might be able to point me in the right direction on where I might find some replacement pieces, tips for structural work, etc. Thank you and hope to hear back!

    ReplyDelete