Thursday, May 31, 2012
Aaaaand Here It Is! Yup, It Was The Green Milo Baughman Recliner. Status: One In - One Out.
Even as found, this was the major score from the Gypsy Caravan. I'd have to say this might have been the best deal at the entire flea market that day! As you can see in the pictures from the sale that day, it was stuck in the middle of somewhat incongruous offerings...and perhaps - lucky for me - well hidden by them!
Yup, old Baughman go bye bye. New Baughman says "hello!" The other Milo Baughman recliner
that I found on craigslist about a year ago and spent a little time cleaning up and featuring here on
the blog made it's way to a new home this morning. Modtomic reader Stacia contacted me asking
if I had picked up the Green Recliner in the post Tuesday and asked if so, would it be available
for purchase. A decision had to be made. There's only so much room for recliners around here
and the new Thayer Coggin / James Inc. unit got the nod. Stacia got the Mark One.
This one is in a tiny bit better initial condition than the Mark One (the first recliner) but only in
that it still has it's original tags, original seat springs and is in slightly better structural condition.
The Mark One had it's springs replaced with burlap staps...a couple of which were broken when
I got it...and it needed to have a little batting added to the seat to plump it up a little while
stretching the original upholstery a little tighter during re-attachment. The Mark Two needed a
little finish refreshening. Done.
Subtle, I know. But it looks SOOOoooo....Oooooooo (sorry, ran outa breath) much better in
person. It's amazing what a little elbow grease, 0000 steel wool, a can of Howards Walnut
Restore-A-Finish and a free afternoon can accomplish!
One of the great things about the Baughman recliner is that it's so darn easy to take apart making
all the wood bits accessible for finish work with out getting close to the upholstery. Note that this
frame is also missing one corner glue block. C'mon, it's old! Of course it's gonna have a lil
structural issue here and there.
I got so worked up with getting pics of the before and after action that I failed to get any pics of
just a completed "after". I did manage to take a few pics of the Whole chair after I finished up the
frame and put the seat back on though.
Next on the agenda for the Mark Two is upholstery cleaning. It's pretty dirty. The are some real
"spots" that will require special attention but there aren't any rips, tears or holes...so...there ya go!