Sunday, August 3, 2014

Timing Is Everything. Just After Finding A New Home For That Vintage Redline BMX Bike I Found A Couple Weeks Back I Picked Up This Beautiful Broyhill Sculptra Dresser (And More). Status: Already Gone.

20140802_173638

What a day.  Beautiful weather, shifting merch. and hauling in more!  I spent 5 hours today buying, hauling, moving, cleaning, tagging and photographing new items for my booth at the Antique Mall of Creve Coeur.  Pretty great way to spend a Saturday if you ask me!

20140802_17364520140802_173827

Finding this set today was perfect timing too.  I had just moved a Drexel Projection dresser out and

still needed to fill a space that had been occupied by a Knoll sofa.  Finding enough (plus) to fill those

holes in one day doesn't happen all that often.  This particular piece, a Sculptra 6 drawer dresser with

mirror, got lashed to the top of Frank.  Bet that looked funny while I was barreling down highway

270 at 65mph!  The staff at the Antique Mall of Creve Coeur 'bout had a cow when they saw me

pulling it back off the roof rack by myself.  Truth is, it's not so heavy with the drawers removed.

20140802_17372920140802_173821

Actually, I'd much rather spend the day moving this stuff as apposed to cleaning it up.  Takes lots of

elbow grease, that.  I'd rather expend muscle energy than the tedious act of getting the dust out of

grooves.  Still, there is a certain joy to be had when using Howard Restore-A-Finish on something

like this.  There's an instant gratification to seeing that magic work.  And work it did.  This wasn't a

bad piece to begin with, but 50 years does take it's toll on Anything!

20140802_17371920140802_173740

And here's a little hint that I shared with a customer at the mall today: for Walnut stuff like this

Broyhill dresser, use the Golden Oak color of Howard's Restore-A-Finish.  I've found that using the

Walnut color will darken scratches so much that they are very noticeable where as the Golden Oak

blends them perfectly.  Now, if something needs a little darker boost...that's when I'll open the can of

Walnut or Dark Walnut.  Just a little DIY FYI!  Anyway, this 6 drawer dresser turned out sweet and if

you are in need, it's down at the booth now!

4 comments:

  1. I was at the Antique Mall on Sunday, I was in there for over three hours...oops! Your booth looked great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myssie.

      Thanks! I do have some back burner plans to make it a little nicer but who knows when I'll have the time?

      Delete
  2. Can you use this product on maple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anony.

      I'm sure there is a Maple finish color of Howard's. Check your local True Value Hardware Store and ask someone there. Those folks always seem to have the answers!

      Delete