Sunday, April 21, 2013

Couple Hooters And A Whale. The Whale Looks Trim And Fit While The Birds Are Both Little Fatties! What Gives? Status: Three Amigos.

DSCN3190

I had to make a trip to Bloomington Il. yesterday to deliver the four extra Kai Kristiansen "Z" dining chairs to a new owner from Chicago so I made the meeting place The Bronze Giraffe antique mall.  This works well on two accounts.  I got there a little late, so the recipient of the chairs got to wait while shopping at the antique mall and after the meeting I got to do a little shopping!

DSCN3191DSCN3192
DSCN3193DSCN3194

I'm no expert but I think this little guy is carved out of rosewood.  It's very heavy for it's size.  Whatever

wood it is, it's very figured and dense.  I'm very surprised that none of the fine edges on feathering is

dinged or chipped.  Probably because of the hardness of the wood. 

DSCN3196DSCN3197
DSCN3198DSCN3199

Another owl, this one in ceramic and in the form of a planter.  I love how it can be hung or it can sit

on a table.  This is a classic '60s - '70s stylized owl figure.  I almost want to keep it but all of this is

going to the shop in Frenchtown: Fleur De Lis - Home Source.  There is a label on the bottom of this

that says: Aldon Accessories 1975 Japan.

DSCN3202
DSCN3203DSCN3205

Also rosewood?  I think so.  It's a minor coincidence that I was delivering rosewood chairs and

managed to find two rosewood figures to bring back home!  The booth I got the Malcom Lealand

Totem Planter
from was looking a little thin.  I wasn't able to pick up anything from that seller this

time.  I stupidly passed on a very cool vintage RC airplane wing that wasn't "skinned" that would

have made an amazing piece of Restoration Hardware style artwork.  It had a tag on it that read

$24 but when I went to pay for it the clerk found that the "real" price was on the other side of the

tag, $69.  I was so taken aback by this that I reflexively passed on it.  Now I'm kicking myself. 

I'm not likely to find anything like that again...at least not locally!

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Modtomic, those wood figurines look like they might be Mexican ironwood, especially if they are heavy for their size. They are usually carved by the Seri Indians in Sonora, Mexico. Here's a video where you can see the grain of the wood on some of the figurines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg8u0qIS5QU), and there's also a pretty good article on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_ironwood_carvings).

    Annick

    ReplyDelete