Friday, March 15, 2013

If I Didn't Have Three Other Fireplaces Here At The Modtomic Ranch I'd Have This Sweet Malm Firedrum In Here In A Hot Minute. Alas, One Can Only Have So Many Fireplaces In One's Abode. Status: Already Spoken For!

DSCN2664

I just got this in and cleaned up...and Oh Boy is it pretty!  It was a mess when I picked it up but I spent a couple hours cleaning it and setting it up at the shop (Fleur De Lis - Home Source, that is) this late evening to be sure it was ready to be gawked at this weekend by anybody who happens by.

DSCN2665DSCN2666

After cleaning it up I was happy to find that the black enamel finish is in excellent condition.  There are

some very minor scratches on the back side of the top but you'll never see them there.  The base could

use a little touch up.  I'm guessing that it's not baked on enamel like the body and chimney, so it could

just be hit with a can of high temp rattle can.

DSCN2671DSCN2667

Speaking of the chimney, the previous owner had a VERY tall ceiling so I was provided with Plenty of

up pipe.  Way more than most people will need, but it's better to have too much than not enough.  Here's

something interesting; I've never seen a Malm Firedrum with these brass heat shields that wrap around

the sides to the back.  They could use a little more cleaning, and to be honest they need to be removed

to further clean the body underneath too.

DSCN2668
DSCN2670DSCN2669

The previous owner assured me that the gas system worked except for the pilot light.  They let this bad

boy go because they wanted a real wood fireplace.  I understand.  Having a wood fireplace here in the

Modtomic ranch, I can empathize with them.  Burning wood is primal...and fun, but it is a pain in the

wazoo.  Gas is easy...and instantly gratifying.

DSCN2672

Yup, there's the additional pipe.  Lots and lots of pipe!  Can you believe somebody bought that lamp with

the glass table top weeks ago...and haven't picked it up yet!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a gorgeous, gorgeous fireplace!! I think I need to hoard it in my basement for the future modernist cabin I'm going to have in the woods . . . Cheers - CT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had my eye on that one for a while, but wasn't sure whether it could be converted to electric/wood as I don't have a gas hookup where I'd use it. Looks even better than in the ad pictures!

    ReplyDelete