Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Looking For Some Cheap Style? Chicago May Have Tons Of Mid-Century Dealers On Craigslist But There's Always Lots Of Private Sellers With Great Bargains Too. Status: Not My Turf.

image0

No, Mr. Modtomic isn't planning a roadtrip to the Second City but I got bored poking around the StL. c-list and decided to challenge myself to find some bargains up north. One of the items I found right away is this lounge chair.


image0

Do you know what it is...well, was...before it was painted? I don't even think the white paint is

that bad. I've never seen one painted so I'm guessing it's not original. It don't look too bad in

the pics. You gotta be wary of how it looks in person though. I'm pretty sure this is a Peter

Hvidt by France & Sons lounge chair
.  What do you think?  If you're quick it may still be

available on the Chicago craigslist for the paltry asking of just $50!  If you get it please let the

seller know you saw it here and let me know you got it!  Send me some pics!

image0

I also stumbled across this fine Scandinavian dining suite up North Side.  I'm not such a big fan

of the shape of the dining table but I always like these table because of the tile insets.  They aren't

just beautiful but it's a great idea and so practical!  But the show stopper is those chairs.  Only

the one is shown but the ad says there are four.  They have a real Niels Moller look to them.  

image0

Also inlcuded for the $350 asking price, a nice place to store all your serving pieces.  Don't let 

the scratches scare you off, a little Watco Danish Oil will hide them nicely.


image0

Don't know if this is a reproduction.  Even if it is, those go for about $90 up to about $700.  

This one is only $50 and that qualifies this as a bargain in my book.  And it truly is an iconic 

and stylish little stool.  If it were here in St. Louis I'd be trying to pick it up tomorrow!

 image0

And if you are in the mood for some Broyhill Brasilia...there's a nice dining set in Skokie for

"make an offer"
.  Oh, if only this were here in St. Louis!  I'd be all over that!  Make a good 


offer (remember your craigslist karma!) and do it quick an maybe you'll score this great set.

image0

The upholstery is even kinda groovy, yet conservative at the same time! I bet you could get this

9 piece set for less than $500.  Bargain?  Yes indeed!

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up, Mr. Mod! I sent an email regarding the credenza (don't need the whole set) so we'll see if they bite!

    Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana.

      Which one? The Teak Danish or the Broyhill Brasilia? Either way, wishing you loads of luck. Let us know how it goes!

      Delete
    2. The Brasilia. But, I haven't heard back from the seller, so who knows. If it's meant to be, it will be! :)

      PS: I ended up getting a Kia Soul and LOVE it! Thanks for the reco though!

      Delete
    3. Hi Diana.

      The Kia Soul looks like a pretty cool little ride! I bet the seller doesn't want to split the set up unless they have too.

      Delete
  2. That little white chair would be in my sites for picking and refinishing! Definetely looks like a Hvidt. And I would be puttting my hat in the ring for the Brasilia! I just grabbed a small china deck and base the other day and as the deck had some veneer damage I started by just putting the base on the floor after refinishing the top. Gone the first day! Think I'm going to turn the top into a curio with some pencil legs. I'll put up on my blog when complete...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi A Mod.

      I know! I really wish all that was down here in StL...then again, do I have room for all that great stuff? Not really!

      Delete
  3. You should be checking out central Il around Mattoon/Charleston. Frequently see pieces and they are selling for nothing. just a 2 hr drive. Bauer auction, you can preview their Tuesday night auction items on line. The furniture sells really cheap, esp mid century styles. just a fyi It has not caught on there yet, just one person sells it Persimmon Lane in Charleston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann.

      Can't make a Tuesday evening auction as I work 2nd shift. I'll check and see if they maybe do absentee bidding or something. Tried to find an online presence for Persimmon Lane, came up empty handed.

      Delete
  4. The Bretoia diamond chairs at the Bauer Auction a few weeks ago went for around $200 each and their condition was mediocre at best. The Heywood wakefield desk went for around 250, but seemed to be in good condition. While it hasn't caught on in Mattoon/Charleston, it is catching on in Champaign w/ stores like the Furniture Lounge. Those Champaign dealers due frequent these auctions and run up prices. Sorry I have to disagree, but I think Modtomic is far from paying over $400+ for mediocre diamond chairs...maybe I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anony.

      Hmmm...maybe I should be Selling there!?

      Delete
  5. I just opened a new Mid Century Modern store called "Swanky Retro" in Charleston, IL which is about 10 miles from the Bauer auction. I am able to find some pieces at the auction but like a previous poster said there are those who come and really run up the prices. I could not believe how high the Bertoia chairs went for a couple of weeks ago!! As far as selling there it is really hit or miss as to whether it would be beneficial for you it really just depends on who is there buying that night. If I were you I would stick with the Green Shag it sounds like you are doing very well there. If you do decide to sell at Bauer I sure hope that I am at the auction that night you always have TERRIFIC pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Swanky Retro.

      Did you by chance pick up that gigantic Jere sculpture in Pocahontas Ill? I think the sales person told me someone from Charleston picked it up after seeing it here on the blog.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it was me who bought the Jere Birds I just had to have it for my shop it is quite the conversation starter! I will send you a private email soon to formally introduce myself. I have already met Nick I sold him his Bertoia chairs;)

      Delete
    3. That's so cool! I found a picture of it in your shop somewhere on line. Does your shop have some sort of on line presence? Send me some pics!

      Delete
  6. Picked up the Brasilia set this morning - beautiful! An amazing, still-pinching-myself deal. Of course, now I have to get rid of my current set. Thank you Mr. Modtomic for the heads up. I check in daily so keep those great finds coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim.

      Congrats! And welcome to the club! Since Apartment Therapy quit doing a proper "Scavenger" post, I thought maybe I'd start doing them once in a while.

      Delete
  7. Got the yellow chair. Fortunately, it just has one coat of white paint on it, and it looks like it'll (eventually) be pretty easy to remove with a little (a lot) of elbow grease. The white is actually kinda cute for the short term, so I think I'll leave it as is.

    It doesn't have the foil France & Son label, but the supports under the cushions are consistent with other France & Son lounge chairs I've seen. Also, the cushions are both full of wonderfully supportive springs! I thought they'd be really tatty and awful and had planned to have them remade. Instead, though, I'm going to have the dead, brittle foam replaced, steam the bejesus out of the fabric, and enjoy the chair as-is for a while.

    Quite the bargain!

    ReplyDelete