Saturday, August 18, 2012

It's Been A Slow Week. I Got Nothin' Of My Own For You Today. So How About A "Hot Or Not?" Craigslist Special? Status: Judging Other Peoples Stuff!

image0

Let's take a few moments to troll around the St. Louis craigslist and peruse some choice items that weren't necessarily listed using the usual suspects of "retro, danish, mid century, eames era, ect."  Then you can tell me if you think these are worthy contenders for the hard earned green back of the Keeper or Flipper!

image0

image0

White marble triangle table/ reduced - $125 (South County)


I like it. Marble is a classic style and the shape is classic modern.  The legs / base leave something to be desired but the basics are there.  I'd at the very least want to see natural wood under that gorgeous Italian Marble.  What do you think?  Is there money being left on the table there, is it priced for the end user or is it simply a pass?



image0

image0

Gorgeous handcrafted modern rocking chair - $900 (St. Peters, MO)


This one is a little tougher in my opinion.  It's a new chair.  It's not vintage but it has that vintage modern look to it in a big way.  I think it's an amazing looking chair and it's probably very comfy too.  I'd be super proud to own one but...dag.  $900?  I get that there is a lot of effort put into making a chair like this but I just can't get behind letting go of that kind of scratch.  You?  Still, I think it's amazing that someone locally is making these!



image0

image0

2 OVERSIZED WOOD END TABLES - $15 (SUNSET HILLS)


This is more Mr. Modtomic's speed! These look like something I might pick up at a thrift store or the Habitat For Humanity Restore, spend a couple hours on and flip for maybe $75 - $100. The size though, I'm not so sure about what these would look like in real life, size wise. I was pretty tempted. Do these look like something you might gamble on?



image0image0
image0

Bedroom Set - $250 (St. Peters)

Actually, I spotted this set using my phone while at work and immediately shot a not to Nick (of Mid Century Midwest) thinking he might want to snatch it up for a flip.  You see, on the small screen of my phone I mistook the handles for those carved wood danish style you see on Peter Hvidt designs.  Still, even with the more pedestrian design handles, this is a nice set, having a matched pair of night stands and what looks like a queen headboard.  It's easily worth the asking price!  Right?  Wrong?



image0

image0

image0

drop leaf OAK table No chairs - $50 (Perryville mo)

I know, I know...this is pretty rough.  But c'mon, look at those sexy legs!  It's probably just an inexpensive knock off, but it reminds me of something!  Anybody got any idea if this could actually worth saving?  Even if it is, I don't think Mr. Modtomic is up to the task.



image0

Gold Leather Recliner - $90 (St. Louis)

Lastly, hows about a contemporary recliner?  Ad says it's from House Of Denmark so it's probably pretty high quality.  It's not everybody's taste I'm sure but at only $90, I'm thinking it could be flipped for more.  Thing is, I generally won't buy something to flip if I don't like it enough to keep...if I end up having to!  How about you?  Keeper? Flipper? Forget Abouter?

5 comments:

  1. Judging is fun! I'll take the gold recliner. I would also want the rough table, ONLY if it were on the curb for free, then I'd have the hubster refinish!
    When it comes to the larger items, I am a keeper. For small and easily shippable vintage, I am a flipper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd pass on the marble table. It looks like there's some discoloration around the edges, and I think people are more into travertine on mid-century pieces than they are carrera. The end tables are kinda blah to me, but the bedroom set has some potential with new pulls. I'd pass on the table...too much work would have to go into it. I might consider the recliner if the upholstery weren't so wonky, but I don't think you could ask enough for it to justify recovering it. The piece I'm really blown away by is the handmade rocker. I'd love to have one of those in my own house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my take on this stuff:

    Marble table - Very cool and easy to make look great. For that price, buy it to keep or possibly flip.

    Rocker - Nice, but too much money. Pass on it.

    Oversized end tables - Not really a useful size. They have been on craigslist for a while now at $15 and they are still available, so we can assume no one really wants them. Hard to flip. Pass on them.

    Bedroom set - Rather ordinary, but nice. Not priced to flip, but if you need a bedroom set, this is decent stuff at a good, not great, price.

    Drop leaf table - COULD be a diamond in the rough, but it's VERY rough. Good candidate for a project, but otherwise not useful or ready to flip. Project or pass.

    Gold leather recliner - Well priced and might do well at the Green Shag, even though it's not that old. Keep if you like it, otherwise a good flip.

    That's my two cents worth. Thanks for a good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad had exactly that recliner (in dark green); it was surprisingly uncomfortable and the foot rest part broke-PASS.

    The marble table is attractive; I like the black with the marble but maybe you could refinish the base. That said, a little pricy for a flip in Columbus; maybe a keeper though.

    $250 seems about right for the bedroom set, maybe you could sell it for $350 or $400...maybe.

    The drop leaf is cool, but WAAAAAYYYY too much effort. If it was Heywake or Connet Ball, then hells yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marble table doen't have enough meat left to flip although it's not a bad price for end user. That rocker is killer! Maybe worth every penny, but I don't have that many pennies. End tables would probably be worth a little effort and you could make some bucks. Bedroom would definetely be worth going to take a look at. If it's in good to great shape and just needs a little touch-up I think having the whole set would be a triple. Always have customers hunting for bedrooms. The dining table also worth a look. Looks like solid maple or birch and good candidate for refinishing. I'd work the price down though. If the upholstery is in good shape, I'd pick the recliner although I'm not wild about the color. I've had more than one person looking for MCM styled recliners. My two cents...

    ReplyDelete