Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Dropped By The Green Shag Market Again Sunday (I Know...I'm A Weak Man). Two Trips...Two Lamps. Status: Two For Two.

DSCN6241

Seems that the Green Shag Market is the place for lamps for this guy!  This one isn't quite as nice as the last one but at least it had a shade!  PLUS I get to do some work on it!  It's kinda stupid but it's fun to bring some beauty back out of something that needs a little work.

I was amazed to see (or actually...not see!) so much stuff gone from the Green Shag since the

last time I was there.  Plus there was a huge re-arrangement in the front display room.  Lots has

been going on in there.  The Girlfriend bought up a ton of costume jewelry and I limited myself

to this one lamp.  I'd already gotten so much good stuff Saturday that I wasn't even really

Shopping shopping...you know.  But of course I wasn't gonna turn down a great bargain either!

DSCN6242DSCN6244DSCN6245

This sleek little number is kinda rough but I think it'll polish up nice.  Anybody ever try to polish

a brass base like this with steel wool?  I'm thinking that I'm gonna give it a try.  If it doesn't work

out I can always shoot it with some gloss black rattle can.  It's gonna need some kind of attention. 

Plus the wood center section is also in need of a rub down.  That should prove to be exceedingly

easy and I'm sure it will turn out great.  The shade isn't perfect but I've got plenty of lamps with

less than mint shades that look quite nice and you can only really see the imperfections if you are

looking for them.

DSCN6246

I'm just glad that the temps are up and I can do stuff outside again without gloves and layers! 

I love to shoot pictures outside if I can.  It was warm and sunny this morning (ok...afternoon)

when I got up and got ready for work.  This lamp was still out in the car so it was an easy

choice to shoot for the blog.  This weekend is going to be a whirlwind of new projects. 

Which ones to start...which ones to finish?  Decisions decisions.

13 comments:

  1. Try cleaning brass with lemon and salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous. Lemon & Salt? At what kind of ratio or mix? I appreciate any advice or additional info you can share.

      Delete
  2. Lemon and salt will work but takes time and patience, I just cleaned up a new lamp I bought with "Brasso" polish and it worked well, just keep using a clean part of the rag once it gets loaded with grime. Better still is a product called "Autosol" it works on all metal finishes, comes in tube like toothpaste. Steel wool will scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. Oh...lemon and salt and Time And Patience? That's too many things to mix and get the ratio right! You know...I cleaned the painted surface of another lamp that I got recently with 0000 steel wool and it left nothing but a clean smooth surface behind. I thought the same thing about steel wool until I tried that...but then, I've never tried it on brass.

      Delete
    2. Most brass plate has a film or finish on it, usually on the ends of sofa and table legs, moisture gets under it over time or the chemicals break down leaving a spotted or streaky look. I admit I've used steel wool on them and even a wire wheel on the drill press to break through the finish and then polished. If it's solid brass YIKES! I'd attempt but on something cheap that you don't care about first. Good luck I’m curious how it turns out.

      Delete
  3. Dear Mister Mod .. Dave is right. Steel wool will do a great job fast but you will have a burnished finish forever. If you want a smooth mirror look stick with Brasso and elbow grease. It's proven technology! Your lamp will be stunningly beautiful. Putting paint on that lamp would diminish it's beauty. cc (cluelesscampers)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CC. Really? Even 0000 steel wool? I mean, all polish is, is a very fine abrasive...right? Hmmm...maybe I need to buy a "practice" piece at the thrift store and try this out first.

      Delete
  4. Glad you posted this, Mr. Mod. I have a brass lamp that I need to clean up. It has great patina and I thought of leaving it "as is" but it has some sort of splash type marks on one side. You do yours first and post some great after shots. ;) Then I'll be brave enough to try mine.

    KimberlyAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim. Now I'm a little weary of trying the steel wool! It might be a little while before I get to any "after" pics. But of course I'll show them off sooner or later!

      Delete
  5. Additionally to my previous comment when using "Brasso" or "Autosol" wash with a damp cloth and dish soap first(don't soak), dry and then polish. Afterwards you may notice slight discoloration to the wood if you came in contact with the polish. Not to worry a light wipe of mineral oil (unscented baby oil)to all the wood and wipe any excess off will have that lamp looking like a new shiny penny. The baby oil trick worked wonders on a Dansk cheese board and salad bowl I have, the only difference is when applying to eating utensils and such you need to stick in a 200 degree oven for 20mins after wiping on oil so the grain opens and oil penetrates. Baby oil is safe, after all it goes on babies skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again David. Huh, I've never heard of using baby oil on wood. I HAVE heard of using Olive Oil on wood though. I could see using it on something like a teak or walnut cheese board, since that would get washed after use, but I heard it was used on a dining table. Wouldn't it go rancid after a while? Thanks for all the tips and tricks!

      Delete
  6. Lovely lamp....how much would it be to call it a deal..i was looking for one recently in a local store...couldnt judge if the price was right...and then...most of the mcm brass lamps are actually iron with brass plating..unless this is solid brass..if it is ...then i am not sure if steel wool is the right idea...brasso and other stuff dint work for me either...mine being iron bases with brass plating..still looking for solutions to brighten up the brass areas though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sudha. Let's just say that the lamp wasn't more than $20. I don't like talking about the $$$ too much. We all know what we feel is the right price for anything and no one needs me to influence them in that regard. If the price of something gives you pause, it is probably too much. If later you find out you passed up a REAL bargain (as I have), well...then you will have acquired a hard learned lesson (as I have!). I don't think the base is full brass. I think it's like yours...brass plated steel.

      Delete