Friday, March 16, 2012

New Booze Station Here In The Land Of Modtomic. Another Cool Danish Piece That Had Been Languishing On C-List. Status: Match Made In Vintage Mod Heaven!

DSCN6302

So there ya go.  Like they were made for each other.  The seller had a trio of really cool bar stools that went with this bar but sold them separately.  The bar kept getting "top posted" every couple of days.  Although I was initially interested just 'cuz it's cool, I didn't really have much use for it and it wasn't really "flip" priced.  Well...

...I've decided to pull the display case (with Googie Formica bartop) we are currently using as

a bar for other uses and that left me with the opportunity to purchase this for use in its stead! 

This is a much more appropriate bar for our place anyway.  The old "bar" was more Retro than

Mod.  But I did like being able to display my liqueur, soda dispensers and mixer / shakers.  I

might just modify the new bar by adding some windows for the upper shelf level.

DSCN6305
DSCN6303

I've only just gotten it out of the car and set it up for these pics. I haven't gotten to clean it up

or slather it with Feed-N-Wax yet. Also note the dirty dirty barstool seats...oh those some dirty

little barstools. OK...so I've not gotten around to cleaning the seats like I maybe should have.

I'm such a slacker, but I'll get too it.  But don't the baby blue and orange look good together?

DSCN6306DSCN6308DSCN6307

I took a quick look on the bottom of the bar but didn't see a sticker or stamp so I haven't been

able to nail down a maker...much less a designer, if there even is one, associated with this bar.

 I'd kinda hate to modify the thing and THEN find out it was a piece by Risom or Baughman,

ya know? But then, I didn't pay a king's ransom for it or anything like that...and it's not in pristine

condition. Hopefully I'll get the livingroom / coctail area (and dining room, kitchen...bedroom......

family room.....second bedroom...::sigh::) in order and be able to get some updated photos soon.

27 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. M. Glad you ended up with this bar. I too have been admiring it on CL for the last couple of months, but didn't pull the trigger for the same reasons.(no room for keeping it and not "flip priced")
    I did some research trying to ID it awhile back but came up empty.( except for finding the same bar for sale by the same seller on eBay!)
    VERY cool piece. I'm sure it will look great in your pad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous. You know, I don't normally try to haggle a seller down on price, but if they are top posting something every two days for more than a week...they are just asking for it. I would normally feel like a cheapo bastard asking for a low-ball deal but not when they are reposting like they need it gone yesterday! I didn't totally low-ball on this but I did pay only 3/4 of asking.

      Delete
  2. Love it. Great look. I am going to need to make a road trip to your area!
    I just recently found your blog and enjoy following it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eric. Dave of Dave's MidCentury Stuff (see blog on the right) stopped in town today and he, Nick (of the Mid-Century Midwest blog...also on the right), the Girlfriend and I drove around town hitting shops, antique malls and thrift stores all day. We didn't turn up much but it was still fun hanging with good people!

      Delete
  3. Incredible! One of the coolest bars I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Snail. I was kinda kicking around trying to get a matching Eric Buck bar but this one is cooler looking while sporting some of the same design features.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, I've also been admiring it on craigslist but as I'm moving in two weeks I was going to wait and see if I had the space. Damn you Mr Modtomic! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel. Oh C'Mon! That Iron was cooling like...like...well, like something that is cooling at a very very fast rate. Iron...Hot...Strike! ;)

      Delete
  5. Love the lines of both the bar and the stools. Looks like it's going to be a great fit for your pad!! The colors look great together as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi A Mod. I do love the Orange / Baby Blue / Wood Grain combo. I will lament having only two barstools available for the (real) drinkers next time we have a party but...who am I kidding? The Erik Bucks will probably get hidden in the garage anyway!

      Delete
  6. The stools are Erik Buck no?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are two great looks that look great together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bobfish. "you got your barstools in my..." wait, I can't seem to make that work. You get the idea!

      Delete
  8. Great bar! It looks great with your bar stools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana. I can't hardly wait to get a proper space set up with the new bar and the new barstools!

      Delete
  9. That bar tempted me with the original barstools, i just couldnt find a place for it. Now if someone will buy that damn alabaster turtle ashtray it would be one less thing i have to look at on craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johnny!. Those were some sweet barstools where they not? The seller got his asking for them. I think it was $300 and there was a pair, right? Nicely done. Now what's this about an alabaster turtle? Haven't seen it.

      Delete
  10. That is super fun! Great colors too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RC. No doubt, but the SUPER super fun will be had once the alcohol starts flowing! Once, a few years ago, we decided to find an alcohol that we could light on fire to make flaming shot. We finally found one (after several unsuccessful shots...I mean Tries) and everyone was so excited and wanted to see it and take pictures of it (c'mon...we were drinking) that it sat burning for several minutes. Then my buddy Kev. decided to "shot" it and placed his palm over the top of the shot to stop the flame. This created a vacuum in the shot glass and it "stuck" to his palm. The super heated shot glass was stuck to his palm! He panicked and shook it free (spilling the shot!) but too late...his palm had be temporarily branded! Relax...I poured him a new shot.

      Delete
  11. Looks great! Love the colors. I wouldn't alter it. I think it'd take away from the clean lines of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vintage H. I prolly won't get around to doing anything anyway. Too many projects!

      Delete
  12. I'm pretty sure I spied some Erik Buck stools in last night's new Mad Men episode, all thanks to your blog! Not sure if you watch the show but the stools in question are at the bar in the Draper's new kitchen. I think I might watch more for the costumes and sets than for the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meggie. Unfortunately it'll probably be a while before I get to see them. We don't have cable.

      Delete
  13. I KNEW those bar stools looked familiar when I saw them on Sunday night! Thought you'd like this link about Don Draper's new digs: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home_blog/2012/03/mad-men-don-drapers-apartment.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since I wasn't fortunate enough to find this bar first, I am going to diy a knock off. Any chance you would share the basic dimensions with us? Especially the height and width of the legs?? :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete