Monday, March 19, 2012

There Were A Couple Of Good Looking Possibilities That Popped Up On Craigslist Today. Anybody Gonna Go Snatch These Up? Status: Bargains


image 0image 0
image 0image 0

We drove all over the St. Louis area yesterday and mostly came up empty handed.  I guess we shoulda just stopped driving and scrounged through Craigslist instead!  Check out all these great bargains!


image 0

"Decent 3 cushion summer sofa ,,,15 cash only ,,please bottom cushions all the same ,,just the camera ,,,,has all wood frame."

Grammar and punctuation aside, this might be a nice danish style lounge sofa. The picture leave a little to the imagination...and hope. Weird cushions though. Definitely a deal if it's not all weird looking in person.



image 0image 2

"TABLE AND 4 CHAIRS
94 INCHES LONG x 40 INCHES WIDE OPEN (WITH 3 LEAFS).
28 INCHES LONG x 40 INCHES WIDE CLOSED.
EXCELLENT CONDITION.
YOU ARRANGE MOVING.
NEAR SOUTH COUNTY MALL.
ST. LOUIS, MO 63125
$150.00 OR BEST OFFER.
CASH ONLY PLEASE."


All Caps? ::sigh:: Rookie. But the table and chairs look good. I'd call this Danish Conservative. Does the table look like it has a laminate top?



image 0image 1
image 2image 3

"Vintage Small Student Desk for sales Asking $40 Measures 28W x 17D x 30T. In very good condition. Please email, text or call my cell"

Not a SUPER bargain but still pretty cool, especially if you need a very small desk. Great size for a laptop. You could even put wheels on the bottom of those nice tapered legs so as to make it a mobile laptop desk.



image 0

"Very nice hutch in excellent condition. Email me if you are interested."


Note that there are no "key words" in this ad. The ads without key words are sometimes the best bargains. I wish the picture was a little clearer. This is why I wish people would either use a "real" camera or at least take a better cell phone picture. If anybody reading this goes and gets this, please send me a better picture! I wanna know what it looks like!



image 0image 1

"i have a table w/ glass $25.00"

I had a table almost exactly like this for a while except that it had a laminate top. But it too also had a glass top (apparently not pictured in the ad). Again, no "key words" like Danish, Vintage, Mid Century, or anything!



And last but not least...

image 0image 1

"Tall table lamp, 42" tall."

Dontcha just love the short and to the point ads? What is it and how much? Gets the job done. But then I bet they get tons of e-mails asking the dimensions. I've noticed that I don't think I've NEVER sold an item to someone who asked me the dimensions.

15 comments:

  1. WHOA I've been lusting after a hutch/credenza like the one pictured for ages. Sadly it would probably be near impossible to have it shipped up to Chicago. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leilani. I know! How long would that last on Chicago's craigslist? 2 Minutes! You know...it's only a five hour drive... We do it all the time! The Girlfriends Grandmother lives in Chi Town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already contacted the hutch guy. I've been looking for a nice TV stand and this looks like it would work great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That credenza/hutch/buffet/tv stand looks like the Lane Perception line minus the basket weave. The drawer/door pulls look the same. I wonder if it is...Nick if you get it, can you confirm/deny if it's Lane? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look very similar to the Perception line, but I think it might be something else. Not 100% sure what that "something else" is, but I've seen several of these same hutches around STL. I'll check if there is a mark.

      Delete
    2. Hi Diana and Nick. Also Nick...check out that dresser in the background while you're there! It looks like it might be cool.

      Delete
  5. I have to tell someone who can appreciate it what I found on Saturday. While everyone was out shopping (like I usually am) I saw an ad for "unique metal wall hanging" under household items. It didn't say "retro," "vintage," or "modern," so I don't know if anyone else even called about it. I now have a drool worthy Marc Weinstein metal wall sculpture, for $25. It is definitely my craigslist find of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Stacy. Wow! I did a little looking around for "Marc Weinstein metal wall sculpture". Nice! Care to share pics of your find?

      Delete
    2. Sure-these are just the pictures from the ad. It will take us all afternoon to hang this (over the Pearsall style coffee table purchased from Mr. Modtomic). It's about 7 ft. long. Still can't believe I found it.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/78131921@N03/6851070160/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/78131921@N03/6997195021/

      Delete
    3. Wow, Stacy, that is some find! Well done!

      Delete
  6. Great credenza and small desk! I was wondering Mr. Mod how you do your searches on craigslist without spending forever scouring the ads? Are there certain keywords you use, vintage, retro, etc? What about those items that don't use the popular keywords? Do you just happen upon them?

    Although I resell, I typically use CL to find yard sales and furniture for my own home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachael. I'll do a quick look through of the usual suspects such as Retro, Danish, Mid Century, Midcentury (it makes a difference in the craigslist search engine), Vintage, Wakefield, Heywoodwakefield (if the seller puts a dash between the two words, this is what the search engine sees...and it won't see just Heywood or Wakefield), Eames, Etc. But I find most of the best stuff by just searching without any keywords at all. Like I've said before...I might get something cheap...but I "PAY" for it!

      Delete
  7. Dr. I think I've got the Craigslist bug. I already have an hour commute from Toronto to Hamilton with extra time added for Auctions, Thrift stores and other treasure hunt stops. Now Craigslist pit stops!!! By the way nice finds, I dig the credenza it has legs like a Kroehler dresser I spotted recently and I also dig the small desk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sideboard/credenza. Awesome lines. Yes, you do have to check everything when your hunting Craigslist because so many people do not know the words mid-century or retro.

    ReplyDelete