Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sally From Kansas Sent Mr. Modtomic An Inquiry Concerning An Amazing Set Of Dining Chairs. Status: Mr. Mod Fail...And Has A Sad.

056

Ok...maybe not a sad, but at least some frustration!  I've poured over Google Images for hours trying to get a handle on these chairs and have come up empty handed.  I'm throwing them out there for youz guyz.  Show me the magic!

Sarah is considering parting ways with these lovely Danish inspired armchairs.  She says she's

not so much in love with the combination of Tulip Table and the Arm Chairs.  Too bad, right! 

Those are some sexy armchairs.  But she does kinda have a point.  There is a bit of a clash

between the two.  Maybe if the the Tulip Base was black instead of white?  Dunno.


051

Sarah was wondering if Mr. Modtomic could help her with an ID on these chairs.  Again, Fail...

I got nothing.  I was kinda thinking Gunlocke but that certainly isn't it.  These chairs are much

more delicate, sculpted and "fine".  I swear I've seen these hundreds of times and everywhere,

but of course...as soon as I WANT to find a picture...Fail.

049-1

Mr. Modtomic is loving the details like the double taper pencil legs and the lack of stretchers

between them.  These little details lend a light and airy look to what could otherwise be kinda

chunky and heavy looking...like the afore mentioned Gunlocke chairs.   So if you have any

thoughts as to what the story is with these chairs, please leave a comment.  I'm sure Sarah

would be most appreciative and so would I....it's kinda driving me crazy!

14 comments:

  1. They look very similar to the Jasper Chair Co. set that I found at our office.

    http://furnishmevintage.com/wp-content/uploads/retro_jasper_chairs_4.jpg

    Perhaps a different model made by the same company?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a link to my Jasper chair post:

    http://midcenturymidwest.blogspot.com/2011/10/office-chairs-revisited.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick. There is a lot of similarity in the two chairs but I'm not feeling the "familiarity". Thanks for tossing some help into the ring!

      Delete
  3. It looks a bit like the Juliana chair on dwr.com. It is designed by Aristeu Pires. Maybe he was inspired by someone??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi d3899. There is also a lot of similarity in those chairs. The Juliana chair seems a lot more Wegner inspired though. Thanks for weighing in.

      Delete
  4. look amazing..i would second nick's guess about jasper chairs a few models they made in late 60s were supposed to have no brass footing earlier ones did (I am yet to confirm my facts on this- this is the information a local antique dealer passed on to me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sudha. I poked around on the web and didn't find a Jasper match but that doesn't mean too much. I'm surprised that I haven't found a comparable chair yet. Maybe I'm wrong about seeing this chair in the past.

      Delete
    2. i did find a few jasperz wihtout the back upholstery though..very very similar chairs

      Delete
  5. My first impression was it may be a Gio Ponti design. His designs were in the same vein...slender lines and great curves. No luck there but I still think this may at least be the inspiration. Another avenure is Hans Olsens designs, which are in the same feel. No luck there as well. It's actually pretty fun trying the "identify" game and great for learning more about designers, but I don't have all that much time to dig too deep. Hope someone runs this to ground...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi A Mod. Throwing names around when I search sometimes helps since the search algorithm doens't take the order of my terms too seriously and maybe the "name" is on one part of the page and the word "chair" is on another. I'll keep at it. It might reveal itself yet. Thanks for the help.

      Delete
  6. Could they be Hans Wegner round chairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous. I saw the Wegner "round" chairs while searching too. These chairs are missing the side seat supports that the Wegner Round chairs have. They do seem to have a number of attributes from different designers. Good looking out though! Thanks for helping.

      Delete
  7. Everywhere cheap office chairs face would make brighterin offices. 925furniture offer our clients an exclusive range of staff chairs that are widely used in banks and corporate sectors.These are compact & stylish chairs, which helps to utilize less place. This Staff Office Chairs material and are highly durable and reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thonet? check the underside of the seat

    I have a similar one in green, regret not getting orange as well from alley, originally in Evanston library

    ReplyDelete