Friday, January 14, 2011

Just For Fun...Fake Polaroids! A "Do It Yourself". Status: Accept The Challenge!

Girlfriend at Car Henge

I was wasting a little time the other day over at the Lotta Living site and noticed a "challenge" of sorts on the message board.


A fellow commenter on the Lotta Living message board who goes by the name

Scowsa has asked others to post pictures converted to look like Polaroids via

editing software. I don't have the cool i-phone or it's aps that he / she and others

are using but I do have an old Polaroid picture of my Sister that I can edit in other

images into! Check it out. This is fun!

Mr Modtomic and Pink HippoGirlfriend and Manx Dune Buggy

The challenge is to picture something interesting in the "retro" vein but not have

anything obviously modern or current in the pic. I've been taking pics of retro /

googie signs for years. Now I have an actual use for them!

Pink Motel

There are tons of pics of this sign. The Pink Motel is located in Cherokee NC. We

actually stayed a night there our second time through on our way to Myrtle Beach

SC
. And BTW, Myrtle Beach SC is a great place to take a Retro Vacation. There

are still boardwalks and vintage style motels at reasonable prices and an

amusement park.

Riverside Truck Stop MotelCream City Ice Cream

Most of these images were collected on one of our trips to Myrtle Beach. The

Image at the top of Car Henge (I think) is located just outside of Amarillo TX and

was taken last summer during out road trip to San Fran. CA.

Hickory Hill Motel CafeSpring St Super Market

Unfortunately, most of the pics I took on our first trip to Myrtle Beach were taken

with a lesser quality camera. The resolution isn't great, but it works for this project

pretty good! The key, IMHO, to getting an authentic look is to wash out the color a

little bit, loose a little focus and ad a touch of "film grain". Whatchya think?

Sugar N Spice Drive InBel Air Bowl and Curly Joe's Lounge

The Bel Air Bowl / Curly Joe's Lounge is actually located in Belleville IL near the

Drive In Theater. I got tons more pics I could do this to, but there are only so many

hours in a day.

5 comments:

  1. Really interesting! I wouldn't have been able to tell that your googie signs weren't real Polaroids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you google image search 'polaroid frame' or 'polaroid mask' you can find some free graphics of worn, folded, crinkled etc polaroid blanks to add your photos to. i only know about this because of digital scrapbooking (shhhh) but it's fun to make new photos look old-timey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the old motel signs. I've been snapping some as I see them around So. Cal. Cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, its pretty cool. This year I'm looking forward to take a break and enjoy nature as I go for vacation, well maybe after I find some Texas Land Sales. Anyway I really like your blog and i really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana - I put a little time and effort into "fading" the image so that it didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

    Stacey - Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna look around for some of those.

    Rhan - Let's see some of them.

    TLS - Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete