Monday, February 14, 2011

I Picked Up This Great Set of Metlox Poppytrail "Navajo" for a Song at the South County Antique Mall Last Weekend. Status: Matchy Matchy!

Edit0949

I love the Metlox Poppytrail lines. The finish is great. It has a real organic look to it with the sorta matte finish. Metlox Poppytrail has lots of great patterns.

Some are coveted more than others but I think the Navajo pattern, with it's spirals

of aqua blue, is right out of the Mod '50s. I fell for the pattern well before I knew

anything about it. I think it might have even been at the South County antique mall

where I first spotted a piece of this.

DSCN0959DSCN0955

DSCN0954DSCN0952

DSCN0953DSCN0962

I got these four pieces for just $24. That's a pretty great deal from an antique mall.

I do agree that antique malls can be pricey but c'mon, they gotta pay the booth

rental and they buy at auctions, estate sales, thrift stores for prices for prices that

are consummate with those places. They gotta make a buck, right? It's not Always

about finding a killer deal, sometimes it can be about finding a great piece that

you might not find again...like the Black Lighted Globe.

DSCN0960DSCN0951

DSCN0950DSCN0956

DSCN0957DSCN0958

So now I have a pair of the long console dishes! Nothing like having a spare. Eh,

we put candy, nuts, pretzels and stuff out when we have parties so having extra

pieces is a bonus. I might sell these though. I really want a set of the Metlox

Poppytrail California Mobile
!

5 comments:

  1. Sweet! I agree with you completely that sometimes you get things dirt cheap, and the next time you pay a reasonable price for something you really want, even though it may not be a steal. It all averages out in the end. After all, we want people to pay us a fair price, so it's only right we do the same for other sellers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you paid $24.00 for the items above, that was a great deal. When I pay mall or shop prices for an item I always ask myself "IF I were to resell this item, could I make a profit?". Retail merchants have a lot of overhead and hidden costs of doing business that some people don't think about. Why not collect both patterns of Metlox? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana - Right! It should all come out in the wash.

    K4M - If I had bought these specifically to resell I might not have bought them. I might resell them but I generally look for even better deals than this for re-sell. I have no overhead though, less buying nice things for the Girlfriend once in a while! I guess I could collect both, why not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you still have these dishes? They were our "everyday dishes" when I was growing up!
    Thanks,
    Leah A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Actually, these are now available at the shop in Old St. Charles, Fleur De Lis - Home Source! Click on the picture of the front of the building in the upper right of this page for a map.

      Delete