Monday, October 22, 2012

Looking For Some Cheap Style? Surely! Mythos Made Request Of A Scavenging Through The Minneapolis / St. Paul C-List - And So It Came To Pass. Status: Not My Turf!

Greetings from Minnesapolis, Minnesota, City of Lakes and Parks - Large Letter Postcard

So here we go yet again on another tour requested by a reader of a craigslist where in I cannot actually Purchase any of the cool items I stumble across. Torture, it is.

 image0

It's a little plain but it's got that great 70's Scandinavian style.  In the photo the seller has the backrest cushions misplaced on the sides.  See how they are sorta trapezoid shaped?  Those should be on the back so that they let you lean back and those that they have on the back are supposed to be on the arms.  Anyway, it don't matter - the lovely sofa as cheap, looks like it might be teak and looks like it's in good shape.  $35 and it's all yours!

image0

At almost ten times the price of the sofa above you can pick up this amazing Vladimir Kagan glass top coffee table.  $320 is a little pricey but it's hard to find a table like this.  You just gotta want it bad enough!

image0

$15 for a pair of fine looking bentwood swag leg end tables?  Yes please.  These may or may not be vintage...or even old.  But sometimes you gotta look past that to the sheer style of the item.  This style works for me and I'd happily drop bank on them!  Crumby picture though, don'tcha think?

image0

Not vintage modern in any way but just a crazy good deal - $40 - that one could easily double their money on...or even triple.  I think I paid $35 for a set like this a while back for the girlfriend to store jewelry in.  These regularly sell for more than $200 around here.  I guess they are also great for storing prints in.  Stick some short taper legs on one and make a coffee table out of it!  Or just flip it to help pay for than Kagan Coffee table above!

image0

Another great deal - $145 for a Broyhill Saga desk, two chairs and a nice lamp.  How could you resist?  It's like a great 3-fer!

image0

Ok, yeah - it's a little crazy right?  But what do I know of what you might be looking for?!  Maybe you need a 14 foot long table!  Maybe you need EIGHT 14 foot long tables!  These Eames / Herman Miller conference tables are ridiculous but probably a bargain at $1600 each.  If you happen to snatch one or more of these up, please let me know what you plan on doing with it!

 image0

Nice velvety brown sofa.  Take a close look at the chrome steel legs.  Maybe this is a Milo Baughman  / Thayer Coggin piece.  It's available for the paltry sum of just $175 and looks perfectly serviceable.  I'd snatch it up if it were 'round here!

image0

This pair of chairs is being offered for $80.  I kinda like them since they aren't trying so hard to ape their more famous contemporaries too hard.  If anything they have a slight resemblance to the Eames La Fonda Del Sol chairs.  They look like they'd clean up nice and those of you who can stand to gather disparate chairs to set around a dining table could probably use these.

image0

I usually stay away from ads that have keywords in them but this chair was just to sexy to leave out.  Not a bad price at just $129 either.  I'd have it.  And it'd probably be a keeper too.  I saw one like this somewhere that had been re-upholstered (Design*Sponge maybe) and it turned out so awesome.  I dig this one as it.

image0

And lastly, how about a nice little Heywood Wakefield end table?  OK, how about a nice little Heywood Wakefield end table for the bargain basement price of just $30?  Crazy rght?!  I'd love to find this jewel 'round here cuz I've got it's mate!  Paid about the same price for it too!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I've been mentioned on the internets. Outside of the Cities, Minnesota is fertile ground for Danish Modern collectors, as the locals HATE it. I suppose it reminds them of dingy cabin furniture, or what their elderly aunts have yet to replace. Besides pickers, the only real competition are the "shabby chic" CL sellers, who want to slap a coat of house paint on these pieces. Have you ever seen a BLUE Lane Acclaim coffee table?...I have!

    ReplyDelete