Saturday, November 19, 2011
::Sigh:: This Thing Very Nearly Swaddles You In Comfort. Yes, The Mr. Chair Is Finished. Status: Nap-tastic!
It's not perfect. I'm no professional upholsterer, but it looks pretty good for a hack like me. I'm certainly happy with it and am elated that I can finally USE the chair. It's absolutely the most comfortable chair I've ever owned. It fits like a tailored lambskin glove. I predict this chair and ottoman are going to suffer some pretty serious napping.
I finished the ottoman quite a while back. I was using it as sort of a test to see if I would even
be able to do this at all. It turned out really nice but I found that I pulled the fabric a bit too taut.
This is pretty heavy upholstery fabric and it doesn't stretch at all. When I sat on the ottoman
and put all my weight on it the fabric fabric pulled pretty tight against the cushion frame. It's not
so bad that I feel the need to pull it all apart since I don't think I'll be sitting on the ottoman all
that often, but I may redo it again anyway to match the pleats I put into the back and headrest
cushions on the chair.
After messing around with the back and head cushions for a while I decided to try out this little
pleat idea and I think it works nicely. I could have finished these without the pleats. They weren't
necessary but you see those "wrinkles" in the middle of each cushion? Those weren't going
anywhere. I tried and tried to get rid of them but to no avail. Actually I tried the pleats hoping
they would help alleviate the wrinkles but they did not. It's ok though, if I could have gotten rid
of the wrinkles I would have but they don't ruin the look for me. They give the chair a lived in
look. I'm more disappointed in myself for not being able to figure out how to get rid of them
than I am for having them on the chair! I think that if I had been more patient and bought some
thick batting I might have had more luck. Next time.
I am pretty proud of how well the armrests turned out. These were the hardest and I probably
spent the most time and effort on these. I only have so much patience and probably used up
much of my capacity for detailed work on these. I probably should have taken a nice long
break after finishing them before tacking the seating surfaces but...sometimes you've got to
strike while the iron is hot! I was on a roll!
Just like on the ottoman, I reused the black vinyl piping. At first I wasn't sure if it looked kinda
lame, but now I'm loving it. I'm thinking sometime in the future I might pull the seat cushion back
apart and put a couple of pleats in it to match the back and head cushion. Maybe...maybe not.
It looks fine as is. Nobody's gonna see whether or not it has pleats when I'm all knocked out in
it after a hard morning of hitting the estate sales! In case you missed it the first time around,
here is the "before" pics!