Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Mr. Modtomic Is (Slowly) Making Some Progress On Project: Mr. Chair. Status: Staples Staples Staples.
I don't know exactly what came over me this evening but I pulled out the Plycraft Mr. Chair and started in on it again. I made some pretty good progress too. Another couple hours and I'll be sitting pretty...well..let's say sitting Handsomely.
I'm pretty happy with the choice of color and pattern thus far but I must say that perhaps going
with upholstery fabric may not have been a perfect choice. For one thing, the arm pads will
never look as clean and perfect as they did from the factory when using fabric.
Those armrests were a pain. You see, with vinyl you can heat it up and stretch it around all
those compound curves. With fabric you have to pleat and pile it up as strategically as you
can to get smooth curves but you'll never be able to hide those pleats completely. If I am
wrong about this I encourage anyone who can show me how to do it better to do so! I'd be
happy to be proven wrong.
The other big time consuming pain was removing the piping to be reused. It's still less of a
pain than making new piping though. I'm hoping to have the rest of this done (just the back
pad and the headrest pad to do now) done by the weekend. If I do I'll be showing it off