Sunday, May 8, 2011

Little Preview Of The Pending Mr. Chair Re-Upholstery Project. Status: Phase One Complete.

DSCN2254

While I was out messing around after the estate sale bust Friday morning (huh, two busts in a row...suck) I decided to stop by Garden Ridge to go through their fabric remnants. I was actually looking for some black or cream colored vinyl for the Mr. Chair, but then while perusing the vinyl I realized that I'd have to buy it off a roll or bolt or whatever because the remnants are all folded into squares and I'd never be able to get the corner creases out. So I found some cool looking upholstery material instead!

Then I got a wild hair up me bum and decided to tackle the Ottoman. It started innocently

enough with me just laying the material over the ottoman to try to get an idea if I'd like it. Then I

thought, maybe I should take the pad out of the shell so I can wrap the material around it and

set the pad back in the shell to get a better idea of what it'll look like. It snowballed from there.

DSCN2246DSCN2249

DSCN2252DSCN2253

Here I've just put a few staples in just to get a little better idea of what it'll look like finished.

Seemed like a harmless idea at the time. Pphhhfff...whateve' Three hours later...

DSCN2256

DSCN2257

Note that I reused the piping from the original vinyl. I think it works nicely with the fabric. And for

real...it was so much easier than making new piping. Is anybody embarrassed for me? Does it

look just Soooo Ghetto it makes you cringe? Lemme know, I could use the objectivity and I can

still take this all back apart pretty easily.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. doesn't look ghetto to me, but if you are asking, then it must bother you. Can you live with it or are you expecting more of a skill level from yourself now that you have taken the plunge?
    Like the fabric, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to watch your updates on this project as I have an Eames style chair and ottoman that I'm going to tackle. So, I know I'll pick up some great pointers. I think the ottoman looks awesome and like your fabric. I'm thinking your set will look great with your Milo black leather sofa :) My chair / ottoman are button tufted and I'm a bit nervous about tackling those. I've marked several great websites for re-upholstering these chairs / ottomans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Anonymous - let's keep the discussion about the subject. If you have an issue with me or my actions feel free to contact me via my craigslist ads. Thank you for the heads up though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The re-upholstery looks great! Think the rest of the chair will go as easily? If it's that easy, I might tackle my own eames-ish chair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to get around to finishing my Plycraft Eames recovering. I just need to do the seat and the arm rests. Maybe I can reuse the piping, like you... might work.

    ReplyDelete