Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ever Seen A Digital Alarm Clock That Displayed The Seconds? This Heathkit's Got It! Status: Available Now.

DSCN2259

I found this little gem at a local Goodwill last weekend. I didn't even know what it was for real, but I recognized the name Heathkit. They produced a lot of electronic "kits" for the home builder / hobbyist in the '60s including some hi fidelity home audio components. I've seen some of the factory built hi fi units here and there at antique malls.

When I got home and plugged it in I was a little confused by the extra set of digits. I had kinda

figured it was a clock by the switches and whatnot on the bottom but I've never had a digital

clock with a "second hand". Heheh...a Second Hand digital clock with a "Second Hand"!

DSCN2261DSCN2262

DSCN2260DSCN2265

Those "switches" on the back? One is for the snooze and the other turns the alarm off. Sucks

that they are EXACTLY alike. Better not mess up and turn of the alarm off thinking you're just

hittin' the snooze! You gonna' be late!

DSCN2264DSCN2263

Button -n- switches galore on the bottom. Kinda funny how the minute button works. It only

changes the "ones" digit. Like if it's set at 15, you can change it to 17 or 19 or 12, but not 25 or

35 or 05. You gotta set it to 19 and wait for the seconds to change the time to 20 just to get to

the 20s. Then if you need to get to the 30 you go ahead and change up to 29...and wait for

those seconds to tick away. Weird huh? Well, this is an early digital clock. It's bound to be

quirky. But That's why it's cool. That's why I like it. That's why I like most of the things I like!

6 comments:

  1. Wow I can't believe you found one of those! I built one as a kid, I think it was late 70's. Most digital clocks at the time were the flip card type and this was one of the first LED digital clocks. I don't remember mine having the seconds, but it may have been an option to build either way. It was a fun kit to build. I'll have to see if I still have mine somewhere, but along the way I got tired of looking at it and put it away. I think it still works though, if I can find it. My dad built one of the first solid state radios in the 60's. It was a Heathkit and I think he still has it, but I think he said something doesn't work correctly. Maybe it's fixable. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is really cool and sound very rare. Awesome find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you push the 2 center buttons at the same time, you will change the "10s minute" digit, I built one 38 years ago, and still wake to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. follow up, I'm not sure if it's the 2 center buttons but I'm sure it's the 2 buttons on the bottom that are spring loaded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You lucky bugger.
    I have been trying to get my hands on one of these for years.
    Want to sell it?

    ReplyDelete