Tuesday, December 18, 2012

What Up HOUSTON...Can I Hear You Scream! Who's Looking For Some Cheap Style? You Are, Right?! Status: Not My Turf!

Greetings from Houston, Texas - Large Letter Postcard

Houston TX was the last reader request for a "Not My Turf" scouring of craigslist. I'm always up for more requests, drop a comment here and when I get around to it I'll do my best to see if I can find ya some bargains!

image0

Two piece bedroom dressers - $200 (Atascocita Texas). Understatement...I like it. Means that it'll easily be overlooked by all the "Keyword" hunters out there! Be forewarned, that Broyhill Brasilia two door chest is BIG. You've got to have a lot of room for it. I've had three of them at different times and just couldn't ever justify keeping one because of it's size. But this set is a serious steal. Go get it!

image0

Eames-Style Chair & Ottoman - $175 (Cypress). There's one on almost every major craigslist out there. This one is very reasonably priced right in the middle between a great bargain and what I feel like they should kinda be going for retail. I personally prefer an aluminum base as apposed to this chrome steel base but it looks like it's in excellent condition. I'd have it, no problem!

image0

Used 6 foot table desk with 3 drawers - $40 (Little York @ I-45 North Houston 77037). I'm not 100 over 100 about this desk but there's just something good about it. Most desks like this would have a Formica or laminate top. This one seems to ahve a real wood top. I like the way the chrome legs extend up the outside of the sides. The devil is in the details. I don't know if this is worth much more than the asking but I'd still have to go take a closer look. It'd make a great funky dining table and you could keep silverware and serving utensils in the drawers!

image0

2 Bent Teak and Fabric Chairs Swedish Style - $50 (Humble). This fine pair of chairs were designed by Bill Stevens for Knoll so you know they are high quality and durable. They aren't quite as sought after as some of the other Knoll designs but that means you'll be able to pick up matching chairs later for cheap. Until then you can either do the mix and match thing (ugh) or use them as occasional seating.

image0

CHARLES AND RAY EAMES BLACK WIRE SIDE CHAIR 100 - $100 (HOUSTON). Yes, that's $100 PER chair...not $100 for both, so don't get too excited. Still, that's not too shabby, AND they still have an older ad up where they were $150 each! So this is the bargain price. I'd probably buy 'em if I were there. Buy these, the Knoll / Stevens chairs above and the "table / desk" above that and you'll be livin' like a loft loungin' hipster!

image0

Calligaris retro glass chrome round dining table - $75 (Richwood). Or you could pair those gorgeous Eames wire chairs up with this beautiful tulip style chrome and smoked glass dining table. These are actually quite expensive. $75 is chump change for one of these. Don't hesitate, it'll be gone before you know it.

image0

Retro Chair - $150 (Nw (290 & 1960)). This may or may not be a Milo Baughman lounge chair but it certainly has the right style! I might try to haggle a little on the price, but I'd love to have it in my home. In case you haven't noticed, I'm finding my taste to be leaning into the late '60s early '70s and I ain't afraid of a little chrome!

image0

Glass top dining table - $100 (katy, tx). This is a funky mix of a couple of styles don't ya think? You've got your tulip style chair buckets...in smoke lexan...on tubular chrome steel bases. I like it...but I've never seen this particular mix before. Ad says the glass is heavy and to bring a dolly or cart for pickup...they ain't kidding. I once tried to load a piece of glass exactly like this myself into my car. I dropped it and almost cut my hand off. Take a friend.

image0

Beautiful China Hutch - $100 (La Porte). This is driving me nuts. I can't ID it and I KNOW I've seen one before. The handles are the give away. In any case, it's quite likely worth every bit of a $100, don't ya think? Only thing I'd be hoping for is that the seller might still have the sliding glass doors for the top.  Grrr...I wanna say Drexel...no wait, Bassett...nope, Kroehler?  I dunno.  ::sigh::  Help!

image0

Antique Dinning Set w/ China Cabinet - $685 (Sugar Land). This set is a little on the pricey side for it's condition, but (at least around here) finding a good complete Broyhill Saga dining suite is pretty rare. If you are up to the task of refinishing this set yourself, or you know someone who is and is reasonable, this might be a great set to pick up. I'd still try to get a better price though. Maybe offer $500.

4 comments:

  1. There is a hutch exactly like the one above at a local antique store.Your first inclination is correct. It is a Drexel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous.

      Thanks for the confirmation! I'm glad someone out there had the info.

      Delete
  2. I scored those sweet, sweet Brasilia "dressers" but had to pay an extra 100 after a bidding war ensued with another interested party. Or so the seller told me. Turns out the lady of the house really didn't like the style.
    O_o
    Oh well, someone's trash is my prized treasure. Thank you for finding it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Retrodesi.

      Glad to help! The Brasilia line sports a fairly masculine look. Even at 3 bills, that's a serious score! There's just a two door chest (it's big, right?!) on the Chicago craigslist for $500 right now.

      Delete