Monday, April 21, 2014

While Not Quite A "Fail", Buying This Super Mod Chrome Table Lamp Maybe Wasn't Mr. Modtomic's Greatest Score. It's...Well, It's Got Some Issues...And I Didn't Really Check It Out Before Throwing Down The Cash. Status: Still, A Pretty Cool Lamp!

20140421_122749

I spotted this Sonneman style table lamp on craigslist and instantly fell for it.  I shot off the ubiquitous e-mail and made the necessary arrangements with the seller.  Luckily he also had some great chairs that sweetened the deal.  But in the utter ebullience of the moment I failed to give the lamp the necessary attention that I should have.

20140421_12282220140421_123012

But for real, that's a sexy lamp...right?  "There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in

the proportion.” ― Edgar Allan Poe  That about sums it up!  Of course, with this particular lamp it's

not so much the proportion as much as the finish.  There was some issue with the uprights being a

little angled...but I that was easily fixed. 

20140421_12311820140421_123200

Sadly the chrome can't so easily be righted.  It's got some loss on one of the orbs and there's some

corrosion on the base.  The base can be painted and maybe that chrome isn't gone and can simply be

polished.  If worse comes to worse, I can use this for parts...but I probably paid too much for this to

use it for parts.  We'll see where this goes.

1 comment:

  1. Try rubbing it with aluminum foil. You'd be surprised what wonders it will do to that chrome.

    ReplyDelete