Sunday, April 1, 2012

Anybody Else Got A Thing For Shag (The Artist)? What About Whoopi? Big Art? Status: On Craigslist StL!



The Girlfriend and I just got back from San Fran. / Oakland late last night.  I'll have pics / posts soon.  Unfortunately we flew...so I wasn't able to bring hardly anything home.  Just pictures.  Oddly enough...this GIANT angel sculpture by Whoopi Golderg and painted by Shag was HERE in St. Louis...not California!



I just find that odd.  And for it to be listed on craigslist...huh?!?!  That's just weird.  In case the ad disappears --

"Sculpture by Shag/Whoopi Goldberg - $14999 (Downtown St. Louis)

This collaboration between Whoopi Goldberg and artist Josh Agle "Shag" depicts a humorous apocalyptic battle with blue heaven at the top and red flames at the bottom of the 6'4" angel sculpture. Vignettes of temptation and miracles, featuring Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Marilyn Monroe, Steve McQueen, Alfred Hitchcock, and even Whoopi herself, are strategically placed on the wings of the figure. Additionally, sixteen angelic white cats and fifteen demonic black cats, each bearing a name, complete the theme.

The sculpture was part of the Los Angeles "Community of Angels" project in 2001-02, and stood in front of Virgin Records on Sunset Boulevard. It was later restored by Shag himself, and includes a certificate of authenticity."



I love Shag and Whoopi was great in Ghost but I don't know...a full scale custom painted angel? Any takers?

14 comments:

  1. Hmm....and....well, hmm. Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eartha. Not even with the Shag all over it?

      Delete
  2. I'm sure this is one of a kind but don't think I could find a home for it. Twenty years down the road it will probably fetch a ton more money but I may not be around that long... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi A Mod. It's kinda hard to imagine how this even came to be! Whoopi, Angel, Shag?

      Delete
  3. Big fan of Shag. Whoopie, no. This piece, no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anony. I feel ya. I'd love to have some Shag around the house but this is a little like a sharp poke in the eye!

      Delete
  4. That is one of the gaudiest and most disturbing things I've ever seen. I loved Whoopi as Guinan in TNG but other than that I could do without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vintage H. Hmmm...I don't get the disturbing but it is freakish. Guinan from Star Trek! I forgot about that!

      Delete
  5. What is wrong with you people!!! This is a piece of history! Um, Shag... my very fav and evidently Whoopi has great taste! Give it the benefit it deserves! Look beyond your personal tastes and think of the future value. If I had the bucks I would so own this! C'mon, it's Shag!!!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn. Still...15 G's? That's kinda rough. Then again...it is a one of a kind. I ain't got the cash...so it's kind of a moot point!

      Delete
  6. Mr. Modtomic - did you visit any Retro Roadmap worthy places while in San Fran? RetroRoadhusband and I are headed out there in May and are happy to hear about any places to add to our list!

    ReplyDelete