Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ya Know...We're Gonna Have To Start Calling These Yugoslavian Modern Chairs. Status: Estate Sale Garage Rescue.

xDSCN5970

Much like the tables I featured earlier (BTW, Illuminate is picking those up today), this fine example of Yugoslavian craftsmanship was covered....COVERED...in dust, dirt and cobwebs.  Again, I was too embarrassed to even photograph it in that state.  It was gross just having it in the back of Frank.  But, of course, not so gross I would leave it behind!
xDSCN5964xDSCN5965
xDSCN5984

Them's some great lines, right? Sure, it was put together in Yugoslavia but it's style is pure

Scandinavian! Too bad it didn't come with those great cushions.  Maybe that's why it was

relegated to the garage and was covered in dust and cobwebs.  The sale was great.  I picked

up a few other niceties while there and didn't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn to be

#2 (and the Girlfriend #3!) in line.

xDSCN5971xDSCN5972
xDSCN5973xDSCN5974

See, no cusions. Suck. I mean...it's OK and all. It's not the end of the world. It might have

been nice to have the cushions but that's why it didn't cost much...and why it won't take much

to move it on! I don't think I'll ever get around to making a set of cushions for it so that means

the next owner can get all creative with the upholstery and go for a bold pattern or keep it

subtle like these nice brown cushions.

xDSCN5983xDSCN5982xDSCN5979
xDSCN5981xDSCN5986xDSCN5985

And the missing cushions ain't all the issues this fella's sporting. It had some finish issues hiding

under the dust but nothing that can't be cleaned up pretty easily. Maybe I'll go get some

Howard's Walnut Restore-a-finish and see whazup with that! Oh, and a little wood glue too.

15 comments:

  1. How many hours before the sale starts do you try and get there? It's just a few hours here, but by some of your posts that I've read it sounds like people are in line 4-5 hours before the sale starts! Awesome chair btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mr.

      I have a 99 % clone of that chair. Mine came with a huge floral pattern on the cushions. What part of the chair has the "Made In" stamp? I need to see if I have a Slavic Modern chair too.

      Delete
    2. Found the stamp on mine. Front edge, frame crosspiece behind the knees. It's faint, but it's there. Slavic Modern. Cool.

      Too bad they don't have serial numbers. Then we could get all weird about whose was made first. And research what day of the week, blah, blah, blah.

      Delete
    3. Hi Anony. How early I arrive is totally dependent on what's at stake. I've camped out overnight (nearly 10 hours) in subfreezing January cold to snag some Franciscan Starburst dinnerware. If it's stuff I could stand to miss out on but would still like to snatch up...an hour or so is about right. But then, I've showed up WELL after a sale got started and scored plenty of good stuff! Here's the thing...I'd rather spend my time than my money.

      Delete
    4. Hi Dave. Glad you were able to find the stamp! "Slavic Modern"...it's kind of a thing.

      Delete
  2. That looks almost Identical to a chair I spotted at a thrift store last year... I knew I should have picked it up! Dang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian. I think I remember that! Yup, you gotta strike while the Iron Is Hot!

      Delete
    2. Yea I'll be sure to keep that in mind! I hate passing up such stellar deals! It was $5 too if I remember correctly. I snatch up all I can at the thrift stores around here even when the pickings are slim.

      Delete
  3. That frame looks a lot like a sofa I have sitting in my front room that needs attention. I know my sofa is past the Restor-A-Finish point and that's why it's still sitting there... : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi A Mod. So the Nice Stuff goes in the shop...and the stuff the "needs attention" goes in the front room? I feel ya! I bet the lil woman don't.

      Delete
  4. I missed a similar chair with the stamp and stuff in a goodwill last month :(...priced $39

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sudha. How'd you miss it? Did it have a sold tag already on it too? Surely you didn't leave it behind un-bought!

      Delete
    2. a lady had pulled off the tag just seconds before i could reach the chair from the door :)..missing stuff right in front of ur eyes is - aargh!!!! one reason i dont frequent estate sales...hahah..i m not a great loser

      Delete
  5. Great find Mr. Mod. You get this at the South County estate sale with the spike clock and pole lamp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick. Yeah, that's the sale. #1 in front of me made a bee line for the clock but I got everything else I wanted. I've been doing really good at the sales lately! Unfortunately, it's either Feast or Famine with there being NO sales worth hitting or having to decide WHICH of many sales to hit! There were at least 4 this weekend worth checking out.

      Delete