Tuesday, February 7, 2012

This Will Be Our Third Lamp / Table In The Modtomic Ranch. Where Oh Where Shall I Ever Find Room For It? Status: Ridiculous Bargain!

DSCN5846

We brought this slinky little number home from the Green Shag Market yesterday.  The funny thing is that it was in a booth that had absolutely nothing else like this in it!  Let me put it this way...we had to excavate the lamp from a baker's dozen Hummels that were displayed on the glass table.  But it was bought sans lampshade.



DSCN5845DSCN5847

No problem.  I have a couple sitting on less appropriate lamps hanging around the house.

Problem is, I can't decide which one will crown this jewel.  Both are of vintage modern status

but one is maybe more '60s and the other is more '50s.  The single tier seems a bit more in

keeping with the rest of the lamp but it has a brass edge along the top and bottom.  Also it sits

kinda low and covers some of the beautifully sculpted upper end.  The two tier sits perfectly

and looks great but is perhaps a little bit dated compared to the mod glass table section.

DSCN5837DSCN5838DSCN5839

I might be able to remove the brass edging from the single tier and I might be able to reshape

the spider to show a little more "leg".  As you've probably guessed, I'm leaning that way.  What

do you think?  Can this mod vixen pull of a more vintage hat?

DSCN5840DSCN5841

At first glance I thought this was a contemporary lamp that had somehow stumbled into the

antique mall but looking at the details showed the signs and wear of age.  Also the socket is

lined with paper.  I'd have expected it to be made entirely of plastic if it were new.  Do they

still make sockets lined with that sepia colored paper?

DSCN5844DSCN5843DSCN5842

The other detail that gave me a little pause was that the bowl is made of plastic, not milk glass

as it looks to be. It has a little crack but it's not bad at all and it isn't structeral and it can't be

seen with a shade on. The seller must have gotten this for free or something because I paid a

thrift store pittance for it! Score!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Pippa! New to the blog or finally being prompted to comment? Either way...welcome! BTW...oddly enough I just stumbled across that guy's blog with all the Dansk peppermills yesterday looking for something completely unrelated to peppermills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous! Nice find! I agree with you, the single tier looks more appropriate. I'm sure you will stumble across the perfect shade sans brass trim before long. BTW, I really like the green shag market too. Come to think of it, I think it's the only antique MALL in the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phillip. Too true. The county is rife with antique malls, but this is the only one I can think of in the city proper. Huh! I never thought of that. There used to be another just outside the city limits on Manchester in Maplwood years ago, but it's long since gone.

      Delete
  3. I like the the two-tiered lamp shade with it but maybe I am a little more vintage, too! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Hunting T. I keep going back and forth over the lamp shade dilema (oh what a dilema to have, right?). Maybe I won't have to decide and find the perfect one soon.

      Delete
  4. i have always admired ur post titles :)..wonderful lamp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sudha. I try to make the post titles clever but also recognize that they are kinda lame sometimes too (in a Gong Show sorta way) which I hope everybody gets a chuckle out of as well.

      Delete
  5. They both look great, but I like the two tier better as it shows more of the base and has more "pop" even though I'm pretty sure my vintage nazi wife would not agree...She's such a stickler for period correctness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi A Mod. My nature is to side with your wifey, but I'm also a pragmatist. I'll hope that the "right" piece works but I'm never married to that aspiration. Can't be when you're as big a cheapo as me!

      Delete