Tuesday, February 21, 2012

'Memba That "Slavic Modern" Danish Style Armchair From Sunday? I Got The Howards Restore-A-Finish For It Today. Status: Better, Much Better.

xDSCN5998

Four screws, take 'em out and the whole chair brakes down into it's flat components!  Makes it easy to ship and easy to clean and refinish.  And that...the cleaning and refinishing part, not the shipping part...is exactly what I got done today.
xDSCN5966

This is as far as I got Sunday.  Just a quick cleanup of the dust and cobwebs and a temporary

application of cushion.  Just enough to kinda show it off.  From a distance it looks great but

there were some finish issues that I needed to address.  So today I got some of that Howards

Restore-A-Finish in Walnut that everybody is raving about.

xDSCN5981xDSCN6008

xDSCN5982xDSCN6002

Here are a couple of before and after pics. Sorry the after pics are indoors and with a flash.

That totally changes the color but at least you can see the obvious and vast improvement. Gone

are those badly scratched and finishless areas.  I had to really go to town with the Goof Off to

get the old duct tape residue off the wood at the back of the seat. 

xDSCN5979xDSCN6004

xDSCN5980xDSCN6007

I didn't really take my time with this as it'll be hidden by a cushion sooner or later...and I don't

really have a lot of patience.  Still, a huge improvement!  Then I cleaned everything with general

purpose cleaner.  After that I used some dry steel wool (0000) on everything which really cleans

the finish up quite nicely itself.  Then I used a new piece of steel wool and applied the Howards

Restore-A-Finish.

xDSCN6000xDSCN5999

I was surprised how different this product is than my stand by of Minwax Antique Finish

Restorer.  The Minwax dissolves the old finish where as the Howards does not.  The Howards

seems to perhaps further clean the existing finish while adding color to areas that need it.  It

does not leave a finish behind or disturb the original finish.  It just freshens up the old and fills

in color where needed.  I like it.  I have a number of other items that I will be trying it out on

in the future, including a full Broyhill Sculptra bedroom set that I've yet to clean up! 

Now...cushions.  Hmmm....

11 comments:

  1. Looks great...RAF is some great stuff and can work miracles on some pieces without a whole lot of time and effort!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi A Mod. I'm diggin' it. It's going in the burgeoning arsenal!

      Delete
  2. Have you ever tried Tinker's Upholstery? We had new cushions made there for an entire living room set and they look awesome. I know you like to do these things yourself, but when starting completely from scratch, it doesn't hurt to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anony. I'm thinking I might try out some nice patio chair cushions first. Ya never know...it might work! Maybe slip covered?

      Delete
  3. Great work, looks like you're a convert too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Uncle A. Count me converted! I'm thinking that it might also work great in conjunction with the ol' Minwax stand by.

      Delete
  4. awesome job.. looks great and with all the scratches gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sudha. I was pretty surprised how well it took care of those problem areas on the front legs just under the armrests. Magic!

      Delete
  5. Just got the exacts some chair at the Antique show in NYC...The guy was cleaning out rental properties and kept it instead of throwing it away. I got it for $75. Mine needs the cleaning and entire new cushions...Any thought on new cushions? Thanks! Majick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dug and I mean dug a pair of these out of a gutted out school bus full of mid century gold (mostly mass produced for offices) sitting in a construction salvage yard for $10ea. The arms on mine are more straight with square ends but other than that they are the same Yugoslavian chair with brown vinyl(puke) cushions. Mine were really roached from weather and spots on one them, the wood has turned grey but otherwise they are solid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have a chair like this, which had been my grandparent's chair. Unfortunately, I had to sell it several years ago while going through a difficult financial time, but I always loved the easy way that it came apart and how solid it was when it went back together! The cushions were the originals (orange/brown mixture), but I had to pull out the original padding which had hardened over the years. Still hope that I'll be able to find another one some day.

    ReplyDelete