Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mr. Modtomic Has An Unhealthy Fascination With Vintage Modern Laundry Equipment. Status: Just Got Four...So Far.

IMG_20111002_134525

I've been REAL good about NOT bringing home every cool looking Washer and Dryer that I've crossed paths with...so far. I have a feeling that might change soon. I might have to make some room in the garage.


I've been leaving behind some questionable units as well as some real beauties at these

estate sales lately. The pretty ones are so so hard to leave behind. If perceived sanity /

money were no object I'd have a basement (or at least part of the garage) full like this.

I...Don't...Know...Why.  You might remember these two I dragged home a while back.

IMG_20111002_134538
IMG_20111002_134505IMG_20111002_134512

Man, this GE is one of the prettiest plain ol' white dryers I've come across. The nice part is

that these units are usually in working order...still being used as a matter of fact. The sad

news is that most of the older more interesting units ARE dryers. Must be something about

the washers being more complex and wearing out more quickly.

IMG_20111002_134641IMG_20111002_134623IMG_20111002_134632

See, the washer at the same sale is quite a few years newer. Looks like the late '70s to

me. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I just get all "matchy matchy" with the

appliances.

IMG_20111007_112825
IMG_20111007_112839IMG_20111007_112851

IMG_20111007_112924
IMG_20111007_112937IMG_20111007_112945

Again, you can see that the dryer at this sale looks like it's about 5 or 10 years older

than the washer. It's understandable. A dryer just has a heat coil, a drive motor / system

and a blower to wear out. Not much there TO wear out. Washers have all those pumps,

transmissions, hoses, belts, switches, valves, seals and who knows what elses to wear

out. The guys over at Automatic Washer know all about this stuff. It's a great site to

get your feet wet if vintage appliances intrigue you. Go take a peek. I do wish the site

was a little easier to navigate though.

6 comments:

  1. Thank god I'm only really into blenders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct sir. As a person who has burned out three washers at work, it's always the motor that goes. With the dryer it is always the belt that needs replaced long before the motor gives out. The dryer belt is even a relatively easy DIY project, where the washer is way more difficult unless you are a mechanic.
    The thing I love the most about older washers is that you usually have a few options for really short wash cycles. Now they are all 35 minutes +. Such a waste of energy and water if your load isn't truly filthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always seeing these things at estate sales, but I'm a bit wary about taking one home. They are undeniably cool, but the amount of parts and the load that they put on the electrical system makes me think twice about it. They do seem much better-made than modern appliances though, so perhaps my worry is unfounded.

    Also, if possible, could you give me a text with the last known whereabouts about that desk in Belleville? I know there isn't much hope it's still there, but I just so happen to be in the area. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bopfish - Just wait, you'll get a big collection of blenders and naturally move on. Soon enough you'll be eyeballin' you some washers-n-dryers!

    MonoG - Thanks for the confirmation and the additional info. Lucky for those of us who love these vintage gems, there are still parts out there and guys who know how to put 'em in!

    Nick - Surely the newest washers can perform more efficiently but an electric dryer is an electric dryer for the most part, plus these older units aren't designed to be replaced every couple years. More durable and cool looking (and WAY cheaper!) wins in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there any way possible u could take a few pis of the ge washers inside. I am a vintage ge washing machine collector and i have never saw a ge like this. There isnt any way i could buy it if it were for sale im in w.v.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous - Sorry, these were at an estate sale weeks ago. I do not have access to them anymore.

    ReplyDelete