Monday, December 19, 2011

How About A Little Wine To Celebrate 500 Posts? OK, The Wine Ain't Available But The Gorgeous Wine Rack Is! Status: Keepin' The Libations In Style

DSCN5061

I just found this Bordex style (not marked) wine rack over the weekend. It's a "desktop" sort of unit and I can't fit it in my wine storage area on the shelves. It's a really cool vintage modern / industrial design that I think can be expanded upon. I'm making it available on my c-list ads, but not the Chateau Montelena Napa Valley Chardonnay! That's special.


DSCN5062DSCN5063

The Chateau Montelena wine is kinda special in that the Chardonnay was the wine that took

first place in the 1976 tasting in France that put Napa Valley firmly on the wine makers map.

There was a loose telling of the tale in the movie Bottle Shock.



We took a few week vacation in San Francisco a few years ago and while there we made a

day trip to the Napa Valley for some wine tasting and managed to visit the Chateau

Montelena estate / winery. We did some tasting and bought a few bottles while there one of

which was a $50 bottle of the Napa Valley Chardonnay (the wine that one in '76). I'd had

some Chardonnay before the trip but this wine was very distinctive. Enough so that Mr.

Cheapo Mr. Modtomic was willing to drop $50 on A bottle of it to bring home! I've since

found a place nearer home that gets a bottle once in a while and I've bought two more.

DSCN5065DSCN5064

This snazzy unit will store 12 bottles of your finest. I'm wood-ologist but I think the beams are

made of cedar. It's a beautifully simple construct. According to the Bordex website they have

only been making these since the '90s. I'm sure it's an older design than that. Conran also makes

a version of this style though the metal parts aren't powder coated black but instead are just

galvanized.

DSCN5067DSCN5066

So if you are like Mr. Modtomic and MUST have a bottle of wine on hand and you want to

keep them in style, drop by and snatch this sublime display piece. If you're not so close by,

sorry. You can still buy them new though!

2 comments:

  1. This rack would look great in any MCM home no matter how vintage it is. Your new header pic is fun. Hope the bigwigs @ Maxell don't find out you "borrowed" their image :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 500 posts! And what an awesome wine rack- wish I was closer.

    ReplyDelete