Tuesday, July 29, 2014

One Of The Coolest Items I Found Over The (Way Too Hot) Weekend is This Scavenged Metal Art Crucifix. This Mid Century Modern Style Religious Art Just Seems To Find Me! I Ain't Complainin'! Status: Soon To Be Available.

20140728_124829

St. Louis is actually rife with religious modernism. Just take a drive through any of the myriad subdivisions that sprung up during the economic boom of the 50s and 60s.  You're sure to spot some sort of religious modern architecture. Still, finding modernist art with a religious twist...not so easy.

20140728_12485120140728_124901

I love that the pieces aren't welded together seamlessly. It reminds me of what folk art would look

like if it got run over by a Caterpillar D5. I guess that technically this IS folk art. It has that naivete

that is missing in fine art and was obviously a home (or shop) done project. The sloppy brazing just

adds tons of character, don't ya think?

20140728_12500720140728_124950

Naive or no, the artist was smart. Instead of just attaching a loop at the top to hang this on the wall he

or she added a loop to each end so that this would be suspended out away from the wall evenly top to

bottom, side to side. I don't know what it is about that aesthetic but I do find it pleasing. Probably an

OCD thing. Who knows. The entire construction is well measured and nice and even...just like I like!

20140728_12494120140728_125017

Arggg...do you know how much I'd love to be able to find out who A. H. is?   I can't find anything

and really, don't have too many ideas how to with only four digits to search for.  What do you

suppose the punched plate scrap came from?  I'm thinking they are the cast offs from shelf outrigger

pieces.  I'm just glad that someone with the initials A. H. had the good sense...or taste, or whatever to

bring those cast offs home and braze them all together back in 1977.

No comments:

Post a Comment